Saturday, October 20, 2007

Finally posting pics--Yangtze River Cruise

I thought I'd finally share some images from my travels through the Three Gorges of the Yangtze! Hope you enjoy!

Our cruise ship, the Yun Xiu. We spent most of our time on the top deck (after paying 30 yuan for the privilege--ahhh, holiday inflation). Our cabin was on the second level.
Posing at the front of the ship--right after doing a fine rendition of "My heart will go on."
Notice the house beneath the cliffs
V is for Victory--what you don't see in this pic is all the Chinese behind the camera taking pics of us. From left to right: Rachel, Virginia and me.
check out the ancient stairs leading to the cave:

Creepy night vision of a temple we visited--unfortunately, most of the inside has been rebuilt--everything in China is a replica of something that was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. I think this front gate was authentic though.
A suspended coffin:
The whole crew on our Sheenong Stream excursion: Rachel and Justin, me and Virginia


A riverside town: the 175 M sign indicates how high the river will rise once the Three Gorges Dam (the largest in the world) completely closes its gates. We are so grateful to have seen the Gorges before it's all underwater.

If you want to see all my pics from the trip (there are some really good ones, I promise!) just click on this link to see my facebook photo album!

1 comment:

Jason said...

A suspended coffin? What the heck? Who's in it? Is there a story? You can't just leave us hanging!!! (Cheesy, ridiculous pun completely intended, thank you very much.)

Love the pictures. We think of you often. I'm Hoping this continues to be the experience of a lifetime for you.