Saturday, December 20, 2008

Telling the story

Christmas is an odd thing here in Wuhan. It's not really celebrated, but it is marketed. The shopping areas and hotels fill their lobbies with Christmas decorations--but Christmas is really viewed as a great shopping day over here--there are huge sales in most of the stores. Chinese children don't grow up waiting for Santa Claus and the origin of the name of this holiday isn't known to most.

For this reason--it's so much fun to share the Story of Christmas with our students. It's important for them to be aware of this Western understanding of the holiday, so we incorporate the lesson into our courses. This year, I invited ALLLLL of my classes to come up to my apartment for Christmas parties. This means that on 7 different occasions, my apartment has been crammed with 25 students hearing the Christmas story and making Christmas cards and advent calendars! I'll post pictures once we are finished with all the parties...for now I thought I'd show some of my tools to help teach the lesson!

my tree!!

I painted this really quickly one morning before the first party to help explain our new vocabulary word, 'nativity.'




Please Lift me Up that I'll have enough energy to finish out the week before Christmas and that my words will plant seeds in my students' lives! Love to you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucy, I want you to know how much I enjoy reading your posts. You have an exceptional talent in painting pictures with your descriptions! I look forward to meeting you some day when you are stateside. I especially enjoyed your breadmaking experience, and was delighted to hear that you are beginning to see a few bubbles - both from your bread and someone else. I am Katera's Mom, and I enjoy exploring the streets of Wuhan with you! Keep up the good work - you are both in my thoughts! Norma

FranP said...

I love this! I know your students are going to enjoy your hospitality and your 'lesson'.

Joyeaux Noel!

love, mom

Jason said...

Thinking of you right now and the Message you are sharing with your students. Peace.