Thursday, July 22, 2010

And I'm always glad I came

I can't believe it, but I have only a week and a half left in Wuhan. It feels totally unreal. This city became my Chinese home. I look back to three years ago and I still marvel at how right it felt to be here, how sure I was from the beginning that this was where I belonged. I am equally sure now that this chapter has come to its end, but it doesn't change the surreal feeling that I get when I think of saying goodbye. The likelihood is that I will never come back to this city. I've moved plenty of times before, but always with a feeling that I'd probably see some of the people in my life again, or come back to visit, and that it wasn't a forever goodbye. But with Wuhan, I feel like melodramatically quoting Shakespeare as I walk around these days, "Eyes look your last, arms take your last embrace..."

Because the truth is, as with any place, you can't go back once you leave. This city has torn itself down and rebuilt itself already in so many places during the last three years; it's a totally different Wuhan than it was when I first came. It will go on transforming itself once I leave. So even if I do make it back to China and stop through, it will be another Wuhan. And that's life anywhere and everywhere, so I'm saying my goodbyes to this crazy hodgepodge place that has become so dear to me.

So on a positive note, I've been thinking a lot of the ways I've changed, or grown, during the past three years. Here are some of the main ones:

-I've become more sure of God's providence:

I could never have made it here and thrived here if He hadn't given me, from the moment I was born, the tools to do this. And every step of the way, He has been there...even when I ignored it, ready to guide me through this life over here step by step. He's taken me through the thrilling steps when I was learning so much and doing so much and through the more exhausting steps when I was tired of being here and felt ineffective. He's been there during the steps when I was selfish and just wanted to do my own thing without His interference just as much as the steps when I was so on fire and excited about being totally His. I've learned a certain balance in my relationship with Him where I don't beg for the high highs and don't sink into the low lows as quickly. He's held me when I felt sad and lonely from heartbreak and he's held me when I felt invincible and strong. I knew that He would when I came over here, but now I trust that He's going to take care of my next steps more than ever. I used to worry so much about being used by Him, afraid that I'd never get to serve Him in any big way...and now I only have thankfulness that He let me come over here and that He's going to keep using me where ever He leads me.

-I've become more sure of who I am:

I didn't come to China to find myself or anything like that, but what has happened is that living here has given me the opportunity to BE more of who I really am. I've gained confidence in myself and I've lived as the flawed, free-spirited person who I always have been. I used to hear stories of people who did crazy things like backpacking for months or climbing up ancient temples or jumping off of cliffs into water and it would light up a part of my soul, but I wasn't sure if I really had it in me to do it. Now I have proven to myself that I do. I left the security of America and came out here and have made a home, had adventures, made friends who have become family, and lived vibrantly. I've learned to speak about what is most important to me, to be more honest about who I am, to trust my instincts and to allow myself a flexible future that is not hemmed in by a traditional path. It's not the path that everyone is called to, but I am. And I trust that now.

-I got a second chance at youth and a greater comfort with imperfections (my own and others):

China gave me a chance to experience both youthful zeal and youthful folly. When I was in high school and college there was a lot of instability in my life, so my reaction was an overly firm conviction in the need to be perfect, successful and stable. I worked hard. From the time I was 16 until I was 22, I was employed, often by several jobs at once. There might have been a few weeks when I wasn't actually working and was in between a hometown job and a college job, but not a day went by from 16 to 22 when I wasn't on the payroll somewhere. This was a HUGE blessing during that time, and I still had a LOT of fun in both high school and college. But I had very black and white judgments on what the right kinds and wrong kinds of life were, and I wasn't the least bit forgiving of those who fell short of my version of the right kind of life. I was arrogant and busy for a large portion of my youth. And I didn't make mistakes.

Then when I got a job where I had to act like a 40 year old on a daily basis, I realized that I was missing out on something that was important to me. So when I lost that job and had to decide my next step, I knew that I wanted to do something that lit me up on the inside. And China was it.

Teaching in China has given me a chance to be lively and silly on a daily basis. I have had fun with my students (for the most part). I've laughed. And the job is honestly a part-time gig. I've never worked less in my life, even during this past year when I worked for a more "professional" company with more hours. And in all that free time, I've been YOUNG! I've gotten to live as a 20-something...with spending money. And it's been so fun. I've danced, I've had great friendships, I've laughed like crazy, I've traveled, I've dated, I've made all sorts of good and bad decisions, I've tried new things, I've been lazy and hard working, I've failed at times, I've thrived at times...etc. Overall, I feel that during the past three years I've had a chance to be my own age, and I'm so grateful for that.

-I appreciate international nuance more than ever

The world is a really cool, fascinating place, but it's also a mess. My worldview has grown, thank heavens, and I can't even come close to quantifying all the things that I've learned. I'm NO expert on China, but I understand it in a way that I would have never imagined. I know more about what questions to ask about so many different topics and I have a greater understanding of the way that my American background affects my view of things. It's been a field education in politics, sociology, anthropology and history and I've loved almost every bit of it.

-I am more comfortable with not knowing my future

I mentioned this earlier, but I think it deserves its own bullet. I have no clue where I will be five years from now, much less 20, and I like that. And I'm more thankful than ever for the people in my life who accept that about me.

-I'm more thankful for my family and my upbringing

I couldn't have done this without the independence, curiosity, and homemaking skills that I learned from my mom. I'm so thankful that I grew up in a home where my mom cooked dinner from scratch so often and could give me advice when I lived the first year without an oven to cook with. I've made my apartments so homey, and that's entirely because my mom taught me how by example. I've never felt more Southern than when I hang out with my coworkers, and I'm proud of that. Southerners are NICE, and polite, and a little tacky (ok, redneck is probably the better word for it). I like it. My family has been there for me in so many different ways and I've been so glad to have them there unfailingly on the other end of the Skype calls.

-I know more of what I need (or really really LIKE) in life to be comfortable

Hot showers, western style toilets (at least in my own apartment...I don't mind using the squatties around town, but in my house, I like to sit, not squat. It may be too much information, but it's a part of life here), cold diet cokes, and some access to potato dishes. Moderately fast internet. Heat in the winter. DVDs of American tv. Books. Coffee in the mornings. Everything else is GREAT, but those are the most important to me here. If I can have these things in a living situation, I'm a happy camper.

-I'm more comfortable with a lack of sanitation in food situations

One day as we were eating in a street restaurant, I pulled a long hair out of my food and we all laughed, remembering when that would have stopped us cold from eating another bite. China's just...different. One of the things I'll miss most is street food...which is nothing more than a table set up on the curb with a wok and open baskets of food to be thrown into it. You stand and have your food prepared for about 50 cents as cars drive by, birds fly overhead, babies pee on the corner, people spit as they walk past, dust flies in the air, etc. Who knows what goes on the greasy kitchens of the actual restaurants. My favorite restaurant has a case of rats. Big ones. But the food tastes good and we block out all of the many worries that once came to our minds. Yes, I've had plenty of food poisoning. I've even gone to the hospital for it. But, that's life and it's not that big of a deal.

-I've lost whatever small sense of fashion that I ever had

I've never really been able to judge how to match clothes together...in college my best friend teased me that I bought outfits based on what the manikins were wearing and then never deviated from their fashion examples once I brought the outfits home. But now, with the crazy collections of clothes that are worn over here, I have absolutely NO IDEA of how to dress fashionably or what makes an outfit nice or not. I'm pretty simple myself and I like what I like, so I'm ok with it. But I really will be unable to give any fashion opinions once I get home...I have no clue.




In so many ways, China has changed my life. I know that it might actually be years from now when I finally grasp the full extent of how deeply it changed me, but I know for now that I'm eternally grateful for the life I've had here and will always treasure it. I'll be writing more as I get ready to leave, but this post is already too long and I'm getting overly emotional, so for now I'll say goodnight.

18 comments:

zamy said...

Dearest Lucy, I am SO thankful that our Father has shown you so many amazing things over the years. Reading your blog over the pas few years, I have lived vicariously through you! It's like reading an adventure book..only I actually KNOW the author! lol
Hey...maybe you could write a book about your travels! It would be a best seller for sure!
Anyhow, I love you dearly and am so happy that life is amazing for you. :-)
I look forward to seeing you again one of these days...grab a coffee and dish on life.

Love you!

~Amy

Jennifer Miller said...

Your comment of "having to act like a 40 year old" is offensive to me. I am a 26 year old with a degree, a wonderful job, and a wonderful husband.

I too had to work during school holding down more than one job. Big deal. Lots of my friends did the same.

You also comment about the
instability in your life while you were in school. Guess what? You weren't by yourself there either.

You clearly have no direction in your life except to travel and write about how wonderful you are. That is great but do not lump all us 20 something year olds as having to act like we are older than we are just because we are responsible and know what we want.

You are much closer to 30 than to 20 now and if you continue to vaguely wonder thru life and continue to surround yourself with people who support you doing it, instead of telling you what you need to hear, you may very well find yourself being that 40 something year old telling people hello and how great your travels thru the world were as you greet them at Wal Mart.

Now. Go be YOUNG!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Dearest Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds -
1st things 1st: That hair comment was disgusting.

Coming in a close 2nd, however, is this: You are great. Truly. I miss you but am so glad you have had all these experiences. You inspire me to “just jump.”

Having said (or written rather) these 1st two important points, I feel the need to address Mrs. Miller's comment. Clearly, Mrs. M, you are angry and seem to have quite a big chip on your shoulder. (Or, do you just enjoy ranting on a stranger’s blog and doling out unwanted advice because you have nothing better to do in spite of having a so-called “wonderful job” and “wonderful husband?”) From whence this shoulder chip came, I have no idea because I don't know you, just like you don't know me or Lucy. Please refrain from posting any future condescending comments concerning my amazing friend…or WalMart greeters for that matter.

In addition, I feel the need to comment on how unnecessarily rude it was to write “you clearly have no direction in your life” and to insinuate that Lucy is “vaguely wonder[ing] thru life,” as if stepping outside your comfort zone and experiencing new cultures is a frivolous notion. (By the way, “wander” is the correct word in this instance. Apparently an elementary grasp of grammar and semantics is not necessary to qualify for your “wonderful job.”)

Live the life you love.
Love the life you live.

Scharli said...

Okay...now I am going to be as polite as possible, but Jennifer, you need to shut the fuck up! I have no idea who you are or how you know my dearest friend, but from the comments you have posted, you do not seem to have a very high opinion of Lucy. So my question to you...why do you continue to read her blog? Obviously, you think she is full of herself and you, Jennifer Miller, are so clearly above her lifestyle that you must point out your superiority to her adventurous, wAndering soul. Guess what...no one cares about your great job, wonderful husband or the fact that you are easily offended. We read Lucy's blog because we love her and actually enjoy reading about her experiences. Personally, if there is something out there in the expansive internet that pisses me off when I read it, I stop (like most well-adjusted, happy folks). I won't presume to know you, as you do with Lucy, but I will say this...only someone who goes through life focusing on the negative would repeatedly check someone's blog DAILY just to cut them down. I do, however, commend you for your dedication to bring everyone down to the miserable level in which you live. So, please, continue to enjoy the path that you have chosen, and let Lucy enjoy the path she has chosen!

Scharli said...

Lucy, sorry for my outburst but I couldn't remain silent. Have a wonderful time wandering and I will talk to you soon!

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen L. Baker said...

Lucy - I love your heart, spirit, willingness to take risks and your openness to new people, places and things. You've introduced me to new music (Regina Spektor), authors (Ann Lamott & Thurber), and have shown all of us how to be a woman of faith. Never fear dear - if you ever decide it's time to slow down (but why would you?!), I'll hire you for your writing skills, work ethic and world experience. You've got the brains and guts to go anywhere. Thanks for sharing your stories with us.

Lucy P said...

Dear friends,

Thanks so much for your comments and for reading about my time over here during these past 3 years. I am honored that anyone would take the time to read what I write...this blog has been a blessing for me as a diary of memories from this portion of my life. I appreciate your encouragement more than I can say.

Amy: coffee will be expected as soon as I'm back in October. I can't wait to see you! I'm so excited to hear about how your life has been going lately! I'll be back in the U.S. for the Fall, so we'll have to go enjoy the mountain colors together!

Ms Miller: I am sorry that my mention of my own life experiences was somehow misconstrued as an attack on yours. Many blessings to you and your family.

Kathryn: I knew you'd love the hair comment. Just wait till you come visit me in India next year!

Scharli: I adore you and your friendship. I think you'll have to answer to my mom for your language...hahaha! I can't wait to come find you in whatever desert wilderness you are living in when I return!

Jeremy: YOU are part of what inspired me to do this! When I mentioned hearing of people doing crazy things like moving to other countries...I was thinking of you! I can't wait to come see your band on tour someday soon! I hope your upcoming tour goes really well! Viva Ciao Granada!

Karen: I would be SO honored to work for you again! You represent the kind of professional woman that I hope to be someday: amazingly talented, interesting, curious, with a lively spirit that isn't contained to the office walls. I admire you so much and am so thankful for your support of me both in my career and in my life.

Jennifer Miller said...

Classy comments from all concerned!

Clearly I am the one with the miserable life simply because I choose to act "like a 40 year old", even though I am the same age as Lucy.

Oh well, we can't all be a world traveler I suppose, or be a 26 year old rock star with a degree like Jeremy. Your parents must be so proud!

By the way Jeremy, is that a pacifier in your mouth??

Sorry everyone got so offended by my comments. I attend the same church Lucy does when she is home, which is where I hear about the blog.

Too much drama here. I really think the name of the blog should be changed to, "And Then There Was Who Really Cares"

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lucy!
I love this post. I am so happy that I have gotten the chance to know you. You are such a beautiful person and now I see that you write beautifully too!

Anonymous said...

Lucy!
I love this post. I am so happy that I have gotten the chance to know you. You are such a beautiful person and now I see that you write beautifully too!

Jenn said...

Real classy response Mr. Rock Star.

By the way karaoke doesn't count in rock stardom.

Inspired by this blog??? Please!!

I swear that looks like a pacifier......

Lucy P said...

Ms Miller,

I see I'm going to need to clarify my writing. When I mentioned myself acting like a 40 year old, I in no way meant to imply that having a job/family/responsibilities was a part of that. I also have never claimed or attempted to speak for all 26 year olds. I meant that for myself, I had a job where I felt a large portion of my personality was suppressed during office hours. I am still extremely thankful to have had that job: I got to learn from PR experts at the top of the field, I have an extremely respected firm on my resume and I grew so much in my profession. But it wasn't the right fit FOR ME.

I would never want to imply through my celebration and joy of God's work in my life that I find other lifestyles to be inferior to mine. In fact, I admire my mother's life path more than anyone I know, and at 26 she, like you, had a husband and child. I am so thankful for my mom's vibrance and joy of life; I don't think she ever regreted any part of her youth and I admire her background. Many of my closest friends are in America with jobs and families. I adore them and KNOW without a doubt that they are living their lives to the fullest.

I hope that if God had placed me on the same path, I would be writing a blog talking about my joy of that path as well! But He didn't...he placed me on this path. So when I write about the other paths I've tried, I must express that they didn't suite me. I did not feel myself or my age in the life I had been living. That does not mean that I think YOU are not acting your age.

As for my direction in life, the only direction I need is to feel that I am following the hand of God in my life. Because of the nature of work that I do in China, I can not write about much of that on my blog. Perhaps someone from our home congregation can fill you in on what I'm really doing here. It is not something that I would ever post online however.

I completely understand if you don't care about my blog. I don't read the blogs of people who I don't know. I totally respect that.

Since you are at Northeast, I'm sure we will meet while I am home. I have actually been offered a job by the elders and will be working there from October to January before moving to India. Maybe we can have coffee sometime so you can evaluate me in person?

Again, many blessings to you and your family.

Unknown said...

Lucy,
I haven't met you in person yet, but I do feel that I know you through Katera. I am very content with the path of my life, and I have much respect for you, Katera, and your other friends who have shared your lives and experiences in China and other countries thus far. There is a lot to be said about doing "what lights you up on the inside"!

I have really enjoyed getting to know you through your blog and will continue to enjoy it in the future. Can't wait to see your photos of your current adventure!

I look forward to meeting you when you come through this area! You are a very talented writer; let me know when you write that first book!