Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Past Week

SO much has happened in the past several days that is worthy of sharing, but I'll try to just summarize it by themes. I wouldn't want to bore anyone--Plus, I can't remember what I wrote in my last post, and can't read my own blog here b/c the Chinese internet blocks it. Please forgive me if I repeat myself!

Flights--Wow, I think it was 34 hours of travel...but it still didn't feel as long as one class of Promotional Strategy (that's for you, Beth). It was on the flight from Atlanta to LA that I began to realize how completely NEW this whole experience would be for me. In my head, I imagined that I'd spend the time on the flights reflecting on how I got to this point, wondering about all the changes to come, trying to figure out how to approach this new life. As we left Atlanta, I gazed out the window and tried to go to that place in my thoughts--that place of wondering and questioning.

But nothing would come. Instead I closed my eyes and dozed in and out of sleep for an hour.

When I slid open the window again, the scenery had changed. The patchwork farmland had given way to the angular shadows and peaks of the Rockies, which were followed by a wide dark swath of Evergreen forest. I gazed downward until white mist enveloped the plane and filled the window with a blank glare. I sat back in my seat and breathed deeply. The beverage cart came and went.

At first it felt strange to realize that my mind was so blank...or maybe clear. The past months have been so filled with wondering and daydreaming and questioning--where had it all gone?? But I thought of Ecclesiasties and the times for everything. There was a time for fear, there was a time for wondering, for 'what if's, for flurries of thoughts and worries. There was a time for stress. There was a time for wishing I could back out of it all.

But now, now was the time to GO. To DO. To LIVE out the plans that I made. There was nothing left to ponder, only life to live.

Big City--Wuhan is HUGE. And thus far, I feel more as if I'm just adjusting to moving to a big city than anything else. There are bus routes to learn, street names to memorize, and directions to understand. The main difference is that everything is in Chinese, which adds a certain level of difficulty!

Wuhan isn't the prettiest city in the world, although there are some newer buildings with really neat architecture. It's all very industrial, and there are the strangest mixings of new and old that I've ever seen. Some buildings look like dilapidated tenements, but are filled with new shopping stores inside. I really can't describe it--some things seem very 3rd world in the midst of a mostly modern city. Wuhan is modern, but there are still heaps of garbage in the middle of the street, beggars coming to your door asking for used cans, and pink-lit brothels on main streets.

Driving--I ONCE thought that a taxi ride in NYC was exciting--but that was a Sunday afternoon stroll compared to the life-altering taxi rides in Wuhan. The drivers--ALL OF THEM--feel free to swerve in and out of oncoming traffic, make complete U-turns in the middle of heavy traffic across a double yellow line with no warning, create their own lanes, create their own speed limit, play chicken with bicyclists and pedestrians, and in general show a casual-at-best regard for human life and safety. Some roads don't even have lines painted on them. I promise, I'm not exaggerating.

Shopping--There are several supermarkets within walking distance of my apt--and Carrefour (like a European Wal-Mart) is just a taxi ride away, so I've been able to get most of what I need. They sell many western products...although only the brand name is in English, so you have to do quite a bit of guessing on some things. If they have translated part of the label, it can be pretty hilarious b/c they never seem to get it quite right. For example, I saw a water bottle that said "For Refreshing Thirstiness"! I'll try to write down others that I see and share them--I've forgotten some of the better ones.

There is also an actual fresh market nearby and we've been a few times for veggies and rice. There are vendors all outside the market cooking delicious snacks and sides-the best are the potatoes and dumplings. I've had them twice now!

Cleaning--Over the past week, I probably spent 24 hours cleaning either my apt or myself. this city is just grimey and the dirt attacks everything in it. I'm beginning to understand why Chinese standards of cleanliness are so different from ours!

When we entered my apt the first day, there was an obvious layer of dirt that mostly had drifted into piles around the baseboards. The kitchen and bathroom were a disaster. I mean, we're talking "fixer-upper" to the extreme!

Tuesday morning, the cleaning commenced. It was as if the task was neverending--more and more items turned up needing to be scrubbed. And I'm not just talking about a quick "going over". EVERYTHING had to be SCOURED, SCRUBBED, RESCOURED. First the floors were swept, mopped and scrubbed--as in, on my hands and knees, Cinderella style. They still need to be mopped again, but I'll probably wait for the weekend to do that. Then, the bathroom pipes had to be rubbed with steel wool to get rid of flakey rust. Then I moved to the kitchen pipes with the steel wool. The bathroom floor was mopped twice, then the walls were scrubbed to get rid of mold between the tiles. THEN I soaked the rice cooker in bleach, washed all the dishes, cleaned the inside of the refridgerator, inside the microwave, wiped down the gas-eye, cleaned my new mirror for the bathroom, set up a new fan, rerinsed the bathroom walls, remade my bed with a new mattress pad, and moved all my trash out.

In the meantime, maintenance men came and went with a new bathroom vent fan, paint for all the rust in the bathroom and a new showerhead and hose.

All in all, things are really coming together. If I mop one more time, I think I'll be satisfied with the floors. My bathroom is ALMOST acceptable. The kitchen is getting better and there's hope for the living room. My bedroom feels like home. SO, it's all falling into place!

Comfort--I am quickly learning that there is a new meaning of "neccessity". It applies to items that I NEED only for the purpose of being more at home in China. They are required to get me through my life here. Oreos are one example. My bright blue bedding is another. Coca-Cola and Dove bodywash round out the category. All of the above were purchased here in China--and I may have paid a little bit more for them. But I don't care, b/c as soon as I saw them on the shelf in the store, I knew I was going to be OK in China, and now when I see them placed in my apt, I know I'm going to be OK in China, and when I'm stuck in homesickness and culture shock, I'll use them to remember that I'll be OK in China!

In the same theme--last night a lot of us got together for dinner and then went to a friend's apt to watch a movie together. It was such an incredible feeling--I felt released from all the stress of adjusting and felt safe and comfortable. Even though I am still getting to know most of the other foreigners, just being together with them brings a peace and comfort, and I feel so "lucky" to have such a network of Family to lean on.

That's the HUGE update--hopefully my posts will be more succinct from here on out! We'll see though...I can be pretty chatty! Love you all!

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

Lucy, I feel you on "Big City" "Driving" and "Shopping"

Monterrey can be a little dirty at times, too. But it only creeps into the house if there's a dust storm that rolls into the city.

I love you and need to hear your voice soon!

¡Te quiero!

The Gladd's said...

I tried calling your Skype, but it didn't work. I'll try again sooon! :)

love you!
nikki

Jason said...

What an update! Glad to hear you're safe and sound and doing well. Looking forward to more updates in the near future. We love you!

Chew, chew, chew....

Katera said...

My dear, my dear! You have a true gift of sharing your experiences in delightfully informative posts. I look forward to reading more...Chicago was AMAZING! I was kicking myself for not moving there, but I'm sure it was the right decision for now considering my current path. You are missed and loved by me!!

LaLa said...

Hey Lucy,

I found you accidently b/c I googled Lucy in Guangzhou (looking for something I meant to get there) Anyway, we are in Nashville and our daughter is from Hubei so we spent a week in Wuhan in Nov. 2005. All that is to say, b/c of those connections I am really enjoying reading about you : )

Laura
www.thegrowingwarehouse.blogspot.com