Friday, June 6, 2008

Happy Everyday!

Sorry for the lack of recent posting. Today I'm down to 15 days left in China: Year One and I'm trying to fill it all up with all that I can! 

In case I haven't mentioned it already: IT'S OFFICIAL--I AM RETURNING FOR YEAR TWO IN CHINA!!! My contract is signed and my visa is being affixed to my passport as we speak! I'll spend about 2 months in the US and then come back here at the end of August.

I'll post more soon--until then here are some photos of recent fun!

Two of my freshmen students called one day and said, "Mees Lucy, we want to coom ower!" So I said ok. When they arrived--they barely said hello--instead walking straight into the kitchen and cooking me some Chinese dishes. It was soooo yummy!
This is Belle and Amy--Chinese chefs extraordinaire! 

Amy preparing fried rice

They made dinner--but I made them dessert. These is Amy and Belle with fresh fruit smoothies.


Last week we said goodbye to one of our "mentors", Marisol. Marisol has been here in China for about 4 years and taught us all so much about our Work here. She's been a TON of fun to be around--and as she returns to the US for grad school--we had a farewell party featuring a homemade soup competition:
The beginnings of my soup competition entry: Summertime Gazpacho!

The competition (mine is in the rectangular tupperware dish--Gazpacho is a cold soup that's PERFECT for hot summer days). The top entry to beat was Rosie's. Rosie is a grandmother from Texas who came here with her husband after their retirement. We LLOOOVE Rosie and Mavis (her husband).

Megan (above with Marisol) and Liz came up with the idea for the soup contest. They are soo clever!

The Judging: Marisol choosing her favorite soups...

And the winner is.....

Shot of me as Marisol announces that my soup won FIRST PLACE!!! 

Oh, the glory! I won a specialty Wuhan Starbucks mug that I've been wanting for weeks! Be proud, mom! 


My sophomore students invited me last week up to their dormitories to spend time together. The girls live six girls per room--there is no heating or cooling, the floors are hard, unfinished concrete and there are no mattresses on the beds--just bamboo mats or a comforter to lay on top of. The girls have really made their room cute though--and we had a lot of fun spending time together. I really love these students...
Roxy, Brenda, Fiona, Gammine, Sally, Missy and Evelyn

Me with the girls


Finally, I recently taught a lesson on "eating habits" for the freshmen classes. The lesson required me to describe a sandwich to the students--so I thought it would be a good opportunity for them to experience their 
FIRST PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES EVER!!! 
Getting prepped to make 75 PB&J sandwiches the night before classes--thankfully I found a bakery to slice my bread loaves for me! Seriously--the phrase "the best thing since sliced bread" is a BIG compliment to whatever you're speaking of.

One of my classes holding up their sandwiches. You should have heard the "whhhaaaaa!!!" as I pulled out the bag to surprise them with their treat!

"These sandwich pies are most delicious, Mees Lucy!" 
(I don't know where they got the idea of pie from--they thought that the PB&J was too sweet for a meal, they said they would prepare it as a dessert if they ever made it.)

1 comment:

FranP said...

Mees Lucy,

I am so proud of you for winning with your gazpacho recipe, which I have had and found to be a winner! And what a wonderfully American food to share with your students - PB & J sandwich pie! My favorite comfort food! I miss you, Mees Lucy!

love, momma