Sunday, May 10, 2009

Talk show...

I'm often asked to judge/host/visit all various forms of English-speaking activities...and am never quite sure until I arrive of how formal these events may be. This a common occurrence for those of us teaching English in China. It's usually fun...or at least interesting...and I enjoy this part of the job most of the time. So a few weeks ago some young ladies appeared in one of my classes to ask if I could attend a talk show that they would be hosting as part of the International Study Abroad week in China. It was a week of campus activities designed to encourage studying abroad.

I assumed that this would be another typical low key event--until I googled my name one afternoon and came across the below poster (which I now have hanging in my apt!!!! I love China!). This gave me a clue that this event might be a little more serious! I appeared to a packed room and shared the stage with a professor from our school who lived/studied/taught in the US for about 17 years and a young student who has been accepted at the University of Illinois (or Indiana). The program was entirely in Chinese except for my part...

Anyway...it was odd because I realize that after being here for so long, it's hard to quantify in a concise manner an answer to the question of "how are US students different from Chinese students?" and "what are the differences between the US education system and the Chinese system?" and "what might be the greatest surprise to a Chinese student who studies abroad in Amercia?" With China...when you've been here for a while, you find that there are few quick and easy answers. Sometimes it feels that there are even fewer non-controversial/PC responses to some questions. It all seems to require oversimplification and a reenforcement of propaganda and cheese. I'm not implying that the true answers to these questions are neccessarily negative, but they are complex--or perhaps too involved to place in a conversation requiring very basic conversational English. Maybe I'm just too caught up in my own head though...

All in all, it was a fun night. I'm envious of those who were able to understand (it was all in Chinese) the responses of the professor who taught in the US. He spent time at UC-Davis and UC-Berkely before returning to China. He and his family were neighbors of mine for a little while and they're so good-humored and incredibly intelligent and kind. It's fun to watch him because it reminds me that though I may be a "professor" here in China....the reality is that I'm just this 24 year old kid with a bachelor's degree. He, on the other hand, is a real bonafide professor with multiple honors and incredible qualifications. It's good to be reminded of my place in such a cool way! Anyway...here are pics:





2 comments:

FranP said...

ooh, look at you - you look like a celebrity!!!

Adrienne Ewing said...

haha I love this. My Lucy is famous.