Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Photos from Xi'an!!!

As promised, I'm FINALLY adding some pictures to my overly-wordy blog. Here are some shots from my last trip to Xi'an. Enjoy!

This little girl was flying kites near the Drum Tower. I love her


A pillar inside the Great Mosque in the Muslim Quarter. The Great Mosque is really interesting in the way it combines Chinese and Islamic architecture.

The Big Goose Pagoda. Xi'an was the end point of the Silk Road and you can really see the influence here...the simplicity is of this pagoda is unique in China.

Trying out the local cuisine...this is Yangrou Paomo. It's a soup with lamb and bread pieces and tastes really good.

Finally on our way to see the Terracotta Warriors. They take you first to the workshop where they make replicas. Soooo fun.

Warriors, warriors, all around...

but not a drop to drink.


This is the farmer who ACTUALLY FOUND the Terracotta Army...he was just digging a well and pulled up a head. Now he comes into the museum whenever he feels like it and signs copies of his book.

Seeing the warriors for the first time. This is Pit 1, the largest.



I had a picture of this guy in my 6th grade history book.

Like I said in my post about the trip, I was most fascinated by the pits where the warriors had not yet been restored. Notice the warrior buried up to his shoulders...

Notice the lone face emerging from the mud in the middle.

Xi'an is one of the only cities to still have its old city walls. We spent a little while walking around on top and I got this shot of this guy napping in the shadows of the wall.

Katera and I on our way out of the city. We got a motorized tuk-tuk to get to the train station when there were no free taxis.
More photos of China to come!

No comments: