Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Afternoon

I'm proud of America. 

My election "night" (it's afternoon over here) consisted of hitting "refresh" a couple dozen times a minute as I clicked back and forth from NYTimes.com, MSNBC.com, and cnn.com.  My internet was too slow for live video feeds--but I did manage to hook up to NPR's live audio feed. Coupled with Skype calls to friends in the US--it was a pretty fun afternoon and I felt pretty well connected to what was happening. I still miss Dan Rather's Texas idioms from 2000 though! 

Whichever side of the political spectrum you fall on: we can all share in this historic moment for our country. My favorite non-Obama quote so far is from Thomas Friedman of the NYT: "Let every child and every citizen and every new immigrant know that from this day forward: Everything really is possible in America."

A few friends and I are going to an American-style restaurant for a late lunch: 

I plan to order apple pie.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Me too. I'm still amazed at the amount of people who voted for McCain. I really respect the man a lot, but still...