Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Present

Halloween isn't observed here in China--so it's always so much fun to explain the holiday to my students. I mentioned this last year--but we really do lead a charmed life. One day a year, all children get to dress up as anything they could ever want to be and then acquire bags upon bags of candy! Why? Because it's Halloween. Niiiiiice.

There are groups of sophisticated Chinese young adults who reportedly have begun hosting halloween costume parties--probably much in the same way that occasionally we have cinco de mayo parties in the US--and so maybe eventually Halloween will become more known to the Chinese people. 

As it is--It's been pretty fun to celebrate it among our Waigoren (foreigner) friends --to the confusion of our Chinese neighbors/passersby. Last night, many of us gathered for a Halloween party--complete with costumes, pumpkin carving and a "parade" out into the crowded streets to showcase the spectacle of Halloween! It wasn't quite tricking-and-treating--but it was hilarious. 

I'll post pics of the party soon--but for now wanted to share these two videos. I showed It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown to my classes that hadn't seen it last year. This is a great movie/show, I know...ok...I'm NOT arguing anything otherwise. I love it! BUUUUTTTTT....there are some sections of it that are a little....well...boring. 

Or so I thought! My students are 19-20ish years old--and EVERY class that saw the film laughed through the whole thing! I mean--LAUGHED--out loud--heartily! I understand giving an amused smile when you see Charlie Brown flummoxed by his bad luck...but really? Laughter? I finally was so dumbfounded by their enjoyment of it that I brought my camera and tried to capture it. The sound is quiet b/c they are listening through earphones--but here are two examples of them finding something funny that just blows me away! And this class (of COURSE--b/c it's the class I brought my camera to) was one of the more mild of the experience! 

Anyway--it cracks me up! Here's a glimpse of what they find funny: 




1 comment:

Jonathan said...

No joke. Me and one of my friends were sitting in his apartment laughing our tails off every time Charlie Brown said "I got a rock." Just cuz Charlie Brown gets punked down so much in life. I mean the guy never wins. I think I have a better appreciation for Peanuts than I did before.