Monday, April 14, 2008

Living French?

Like countless other high-school French students (and college French-minors), watchers of Amelie, readers of Henry Miller and lovers of everything from Van Gogh to Rodin...I've always harbored a romanticized dream of moving to France and getting lost in la vie Francaise. Whether daydreaming of a tiny flat in rainy, bustling Paris or a sun bleached provincial cottage in the southern countryside, I imagined shopping in markets, bakeries, and butcher shops, eating bread and cheese in the morning, drinking coffee all day, taking night trains, using a bicycle as my primary mode of transportation and gathering an international group of friends.

Who would have thought that I would find the life I was daydreaming of by moving to China?

There are, of course, notable exceptions. Cheese is virtually non-existent in China. Instead of coffee (which is only found in powder packets that you add to hot water--not very strong or tasty--and somehow always smells burnt), I drink tea all day. I doubt that dog meat is sold by butchers in France. Or donkey meat. And there is no way to compare the personality of the Chinese people to that of the French--though I'd venture a guess that I'm getting the more pleasant end of the deal here in the Far East.

But--the life that I had concocted in my mind of French living is actually so similar to the life that I find myself in now--that I'm wondering if actually moving to France in the future would just be a letdown! In the mornings I eat fresh bread and fruit with honey and yogurt and pick up some tea at the tea store on my way to class (when I have time)--riding my bike cross campus to teach. I usually do my daily shopping at lunch, going first to the fresh market for fruits and vegetables, checking out the side vendors that sell roasted nuts and fresh made noodles and dried fruits, and maybe getting a smoothie made by two women with a table, a basket of fresh fruit and yogurt and a "magic bullet"-like food processor. After that I stop for fresh bread at the bakery (or wait and go to my favorite bakery about 5km down the road), and then head to a roadside vendor for diet coke or a snickers bar or ice cream etc. I buy olive oil at the imported goods store 5km down the road. I buy honey and jam at a shop off the market that sells jars made by the honey factory that is somewhere on campus (I keep asking different ppl about it in hopes that I can get a tour of the place--I REALLY want to see how they make the honey!!!). I don't prepare meat in my apt (yuck--I just don't like cooking it here--especially without having an oven) BUT if I did, I'd go to the Muslim butchers a few blocks away, where it's said that they keep their meat cleaner than other places. And sometimes, SOMETIMES, when I'm looking for something specific like spices or salt or potato chips, oreos, shampoo etc...I make my way into the actual supermarket...

And because I am a teacher and a procrastinator, I have time on my hands to take a book to a shady spot on campus and sit with my tea and an apple and read (although this can invite interruption from new "friends" looking to practice their oral english). I can go for long walks beside the many lakes in Wuhan, I can meet wonderful friends and characters for long lunches and dinners, I can have Family gatherings in my apartment and deep, DEEEEEP discussions on "Stuff" with my Chinese friends. I get to really savor the life that I lead--the life that I've been given.

It's just such a gift to be here. There is so much that I cannot share on this blog--that I'll have to share in person when I visit the States--but just know that Stuff has been happening in the past two weeks that fills my heart with Joy--that did not occur because of my doings or actions--but because of His. It's like, all of a sudden, Things are falling into place--Friendships are going deeper and Conversations are hitting home. I can't say more--but it's just really, really, really cool.
................................................................................................................

A new update: Please keep me and the school in your Thoughts during the next few months. Adam, my partner at the school, is returning to the US on Friday. As background: I came to HZAU (Huazhong Agricultural University) in August with Adam and Jeremy, two guys from Freed-Hardeman University, as teammates and coteachers. Jeremy returned to the US about a month and a half ago after being attacked by elephants during Spring Festival. Adam has been dismissed by our school and is flying back to the US on Friday. Please keep him in your Thoughts as he travels.

This is going to be a bit of a challenge for me during the next few months. Although there are plenty of people from our program in town, my school is slightly isolated and it takes a bit of time to get to the nearest school. I am now going to be the only foreign teacher and the only white person on campus. This isn't horrible or anything--but it is a challenge on a day-to-day basis. There are basic things--like eating alone in a restaurant or being alone in my building, that can eventually feel tiresome. Thankfully--I have great Chinese friends on campus and other Americans in town--but I'm requesting Thoughts lifted up for those moments of feeling overwhelmed or culture shocked. Seriously--I am sooo blessed to be in Wuhan and I am by no means alone, but being the only foreign teacher on campus will have a mental effect that I'm asking Him to help me overcome. It's also difficult to do the Work without a like-minded companion.

As ANOTHER UPDATE (what happens when I don't write posts for a while!)--along the lines of the previous update--I am blessed and THRILLED and SO JOYOUS to be able to share that NEXT YEAR, I will be returning to HZAU with a partner and teammate--my dear friend KATERA BOLANDER!!!!!! I became extremely close to Katera when we were both unemployed and (briefly) uninspired in Nashville--she went to Lipscomb but we never connected until last year. Katera is now Working in Kenya and doing a fabulous job for Him and has decided to come and join me here in the Fall!!! I just know that this is the work of our Father-and can't wait to have a sister and kindred spirit on campus! I'm already thinking of ways that we can Work together and really make a difference! Please keep her in your Thoughts as she continues her Work in Kenya and prepares to move to China! Also, please Lift up the Contract process as we make sure that the school renews my contract and accepts Katera (it's looking good--and if it doesn't happen here--we can find another school that will take both of us).

Ok--that's everything for now! Thanks for all of your love and encouragement when I was sick! I'm really grateful for the comments and emails that ppl sent! I love you all!!!!!

No comments: