Monday, May 12, 2008

I'm ok--but please Lift Up China in your Thoughts

Thanks to all of you who called, emailed, or facebooked me--here's the update: Wuhan felt slight shudders/vibrations around 2:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon, it was not enough to cancel classes or cause much alarm, from what I've heard. I was taking an afternoon nap and missed the shudders entirely.

We have a lot to be thankful for--because this earthquake has cause massive damage just one province over in Sichuan. Simply by virtue of the masses and masses of people packed into China, a natural disaster can have such a devastating result in these areas. 

I've taught two classes this morning and so far none of my students have family or friends affected by the quake. I'm checking around with a few informed students to see if there will be any volunteer relief efforts through my university--I'm not sure if I would be allowed to participate if there were though...

I have heard a lot of praise and confidence in the government's efforts to provide aid and information. There was a terrible earthquake in the 70's that was covered up--but thus far, death tolls and progress reports seem to be updated regularly and it seems that everyone feels well informed and knows that everything possible is being done. 

It's just really sad though--I can't imagine the amount of heartbreak that things like this cause. Please Lift Up China, please continue to Lift Up Myanmar, and all the areas in the US that have been struck with storms, tornados et al. 


Wuhan is located in Hubei Province in central China. Sichuan is to the west of us. 

4 comments:

zamy said...

I was a mad woman at work lastnight trying to rationalize all the reasons why you would be okay. Thanks to google maps, I now know more about China geography than I ever did in school. lol
I CANNOT begin to tell you how relieve we *Szabo family* and I are to know you are okay. *Praise HIM*

Many many thoughts and love to ALL of those effected by this earthquake.

*Hugs & Lots of Love*

~Amy

FranP said...

Thanks for the map sweetie. I've been reassuring people that you are okay, but the map puts everything in proper perspective for me. If anyone could sleep through tremors, you could!!!

Love you, mom

LaLa said...

So glad all is well with you. As you know I have a heart for China and its people and this is just so sad.

The Gladd's said...

I think my previous comment didn't make it through, so I'll try to re-do it...

As Amy said above, I have also learned more about China's geography in the past two days thanks to google maps. So glad you are okay. We are Thinking a lot about you and China!

It's these kinds of events that remind me of how much I miss my Lucy!

Loveyou!