Thursday, May 22, 2008

When you're in China, birthdays last (at least) 36 hours


It's 10:30 pm on May 22 in China--so there's an hour and a half left to my 24th birthday. 
BUT
It's 10:30 am on May 22 in Kingsport (eastern time)--so there are 13.5 hours left to my 24th birthday. 
AND
It's 7:30 am on May 22 in Los Angeles--so there are 16.4 hours left to my 24th birthday.

Despite the sadness of the recent events--my life in China has been more than wonderful on a personal level. Book studies and conversations are sooo much fun, my friends--both American and Chinese--are all incredible blessings to me, and I LOVE CHINA!!!

One of the things that's been best has been the growing balance between spending time with my Chinese friends while also getting some down time with my American/Foreign friends. A few weeks ago, I hosted a Daily Show party in my apt for all the foreigners--I had a HUGE fresh fruit spread in the kitchen (pineapple, watermelon, nectarines, bananas, honey, yogurt, mango ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and other sundries) and we all made smoothies and coke floats etc and watched the most recent two weeks of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It was a blast--there were about 10-12 ppl who all represented various levels of the political spectrum and we had a lot of fun laughing about all the current events that we miss while we're over here.

I really love the group of American friends that I have over here. We all claim that we COULD do our Work without this network--but we're all glad that we don't have to. These friends are bonded to my heart for life. In such "extreme" environments...it's great to know that you can call up a brother or sister and relax together, support each other, and laugh about the daily adventure that is China.

Meanwhile--a book study has taken off with some Chinese friends and I've been able to have them over twice a week for food and fellowship. It's great to see some of my relationships going from Foreigner/Native or Teacher/Student to FRIENDS. Just friends! And I HOPE every day that someday it will be a step further...as Family.

As a final note: Today marks the ONE MONTH REMAINING date of my first year in China!!! I am flying home for summer vacation on June 22. I'm really looking forward to seeing home and my family/friends-but trying to keep my head and heart here for the next several weeks...

So here are some recent shots of life--several from my birthday party today and a few from elsewhere!

My birthday dress personally made by my tailor at the fabric market

Celebrating my 24th at Aloha Diner--THE BEST American food that side of the
Yangtze!

Sara turns 25 tomorrow! Us and a chocolate chip cookie dough milkshake--that's right--MILKSHAKE IN CHINA!!!

Johnny and Carole giving the VICTORY--(HELLO to Carole's MOM!!! We love your daughter!!)

The wonderful boys Johnny and Danny making me laugh...as always.

My eyes are nearly closed in this pic--but I still love it. Johnny, Me and Marisol!!!


The LADIES at my apartment for some Study time and American-style food!

I didn't have much time--so I had to keep the meal at the basics.

5 comments:

FranP said...

Happy Birthday, once again, Lucy Darlin!

I Love the new dress - it's so cute! You look so good and girly in pink! It looks like you had a fun birthday - I'm so glad. And what wonderful friends who share your life. We will celebrate when you get home in JUST one month!!!

love you, momma

Jason said...

Happy Birthday!

You're probably the only friend I have whose birthday I never forget! Because you and Sunny have the same birthday! And Bill Pratt! Whoo-hooo!

Seriously, I hope you had a great day. I can't believe you'll be home in a month. We need to arrange to meet you in Nashville or Kingsport or wherever you'll be on your furlough.

Again, hope you had a great day.

Sunny said...

Happy 24th Birthday Lucy! Your dress is SO pretty! I hope that you have had such a great day! Love you!

zamy said...

Awww I'm so glad you had a great b-day! I SOOOOOOOOO cannot wait to see you *please oh please fit me in when you come back to kpt!!
And BTW pink & Lucy = Classy chic!!

Jeremy said...

Lucy!

Wow! How fun was THAT?

We finally shared our birthday on the same day! I wondered about it a few days before the 21st, but you know me and numbers...we really don't get along...so when you told me that it was true I felt this time-traveling Lost sort of special bond with you that I've never shared with anyone before.

And how cool that we spent our birthdays in foreign countries.

I adore you, my love, and there's a lot goin' down in Mexico... you need a big fat update soon.